Friday, February 11, 2011

Home Brew

Well here we are again, another day and I find myself with a few minutes to spit out what I'm doing to the void of cyberspace. Yup, grand. Its kind of fun to write and ponder, even when no one is reading...Maybe I should write a book so no one can read that..Could be an idea.

Another Idea which has pushed its way into my mind is that I would like to make home brewed alcoholic beverages. Eventually I want to make a beer, but have been experimenting with cheaply made fermented juices, in small 4L batches. So far its been interesting but I haven't quite achieved anything ground breaking or worth writing home about. I'm actually on my way to the store in a few minutes to pick up some apple juice in a second attempt to make some cider. Last time I made the mistake of topping up my jug with chlorinated tap water, not even thinking. The yeast didn't live very long to say the least. There was some fermentation but not near enough. So here we go with round 2.

I think all this came about as an idea for a cheap alternative to beer, but man...I really love beer. I should make a beer. But I don't have the space at my apartment to store the resulting amount of bottles of beer. So perhaps I should brew a small batch and store it in 2L soda containers.. I know folks that do it...It does work. I however would need a large pot...malt and hops as well as yeast, an airlock and a large water cooler jug. Not sure I want to go out and buy all this right now...so Cider it is!

Did I mention I love beer?...man why cant it be cheaper. (If your Canadian you know what I'm talking about, unless you live in Quebec)

Perhaps after yesterdays thoughtful question on politics today we should end with a lighter question. What would we do in a world without beer?

No comments:

Post a Comment